Tuesday, July 27, 2010


Susie Little Susie 

Susie, little Susie, now what is the news? 
The geese are going barefoot because they've no shoes 
The cobbler has leather but no last has he 
And so he cannot make them their shoes, don't you see 

Susie, little Susie, some pennies I pray 
To buy a little supper of sugar and whey 
I'll sell my nice bed and go sleep on the straw 
Where feathers do not tickle and mice do not crawl 

Susie, little Susie, now what is the news? 
The geese are going barefoot because they've no shoes 
The cobbler has leather but no last has he 
And so he cannot make them their shoes, don't you see 

http://www.bigsmithband.com/susielittlesusielyrics.html
Picture to the Right: Those are Mom's hands on my shoulders.

The story: Mom, as I've mentioned sang all the time. But this
song was especially for me! Well, I forgot all about this song
over the years until the other day when thinking about my
mother I started singing this song. It was a spontaneous 
serendipity occurrence. I stopped dead in my tracks. Johanna
was home so I ran to her and said, "Johanna, you have to
listen to this song!! Mom sang it to me all the time and it just
came back to me!!" So, Johanna kindly humored me and 
listened...then we chatted for a while. It was a very nice
time for me, now as "Mom," to be talking with my daughter. Did you catch the drift? A.K.A: ''talking" not singing!! Ha ha! I cannot sing well like my mother did so, I spared Johanna the complete rendition...ha ha ha! 
Mom sang as she did her work around the house, outside 
whether she was going about duties or just walking with us,
walking out to the horse barn, on picnics and so on. Music was a big part of her life; a part of her and now a major
part of mine. Mom gave me the love for the out of doors; most of my time was spent outside because of Mom and being on the farm. Anyway, it all fits together nicely; music, nature.........

There is also a poem that my brother had to recite about his little sister Suzie. Maybe I will find the words to it and put it here next time. 

No comments: