Monday, October 5, 2009

PROPAGATING AFRICAN VIOLETS (now is the time if you want to give them as gifts for Christmas


           My mother taught me how to propagate African Violets when I was about 8 years old. THE PLANT IS POISONOUS. NEVER PUT THE STEM IN YOUR MOUTH! Now, this may sound silly but my Aunt Hannah did; she had no where to lay the leaf so she held it in her mouth before planting it.  Her lips did swell rather rapidly with no other side effects.

NEED: *small pyrex bowl or a glass container 
                   with a narrow neck/opening
             *rubber band    *scissors   *wax paper 

                                                                                              
HOW TO: Fill the container with water. Prepare a piece of wax paper large enough to fit over the top and somewhat over the side of the pyrex bowl. Use the rubberband to hold the wax paper in place. Using a pencil, pierce several holes in the wax paper. DO NOT MAKE THE HOLES LARGER THAN THE PENCIL HOLE. If the leaf gets wet it will rot before rooting sufficiently for planting!I have made tons of holes; the leaves can stand up straight and do not need to lie down. (see picture #2)

Cut the larger leaves at the base of the parent plant being sure the stem is long enough that it will protude down into the water at least 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. Stand all leaves in the holes of the wax paper. Place the container in a window that receives indirect lighting. My violets do well on the northwest side of the house.
 WATERING: keep the stems wet at all times. When the water gets low I make another little hole somewhere in the wax paper and pour water through it; or, it's no big deal to take a leaf or two out, pour water in the holes and blot up remaining water with a paper towel.

 NOTICE THE LEAF I AM HOLDING. (see picture #3) There are already two tiny violet leaves formed at the base of the stem and some roots. NOW IS THE TIME TO PLANT; yipee! I have never counted the days but I would guess it will take about 2-3 weeks for the tiny leaves to form. Also notice the picture at the top of the page (see picture #1). The two stems left in the wax paper fit perfectly in the pencil hole so no water will come up and get the leaf wet.


The last picture shows a fun little holder I found in a rather serendipity manner. Ocassionally I collect little containers so I can give away flowers from the garden when someone needs some cheer or when a congratulations is in order. This one, however, I am keeping currently for propagation until another neat little nugget comes along.


FEEDING VIOLETS: (optional) I use Miracle Grow's little sticks to encourage continous bloom; and, it works!!!
Year round blooms.

No comments: