Thursday, November 10, 2011

COLORED PENCILS: PRISMA - A NEW ART FORM

COLORED PENCILS: I was given, as my first project, a small statue of a ceramic clown to paint.
                                                             (I don't like clowns)
My first idea was not to render it as ''ceramic'' and to put into the painting my expression/interpretation of the character.
Of course this photograph does not show the clown as vivid or detailed as I would hope; but then, that
is my old Rebel camera which I do not want to part with at this point.

(apologies: the picture is too dark and does not represent his clothing well)

By the end of the project I came to enjoy this little fellow: I like the expression I put into his face and would like to believe it is a little bit of ''me": whimsy, playful, spontaneous, mischievous and fun. 
I FELL IN LOVE WITH COLORED PENCILS!

The painting at the top of my blog page (***pumpkins and flowers- removed it june 2012 posting at bottom of this page) was my second assignment. I have not signed them yet as I do not feel they are ''complete."  My next post will feature some small tutorials I used to practice colored pencil; books taken from the local library. 

COLORED PENCILS ARE NOT CONSIDERED, YET, A TRUE ART FORM similarly to pastels  which were not established as such until the 1980's! Imagine that! 
To think that Rembrandt et. al. used pastels as an art medium! There was a ''modern pastel renaissance," so to speak, around 1987 and then in 1994 The International Association of Pastel Societies was formed to unite the world in recognizing ''pastels'' as an art form. This was then followed in later years with The Pastel Journal

This blog entry however, is about Colored Pencils.  Continuing with the study of colored pencils I am affording myself the opportunity to be introduced to pastels, oils and watercolor pencils. I did dabble in watercolor a few years ago. It is my hope to establish the mediums that will be ''my passion" and study those in detail. 
Any comments, critique's, recommendations for workshops, etc. are encouraged/WELCOMED.
I LOVE MY PRISMA COLORED PENCILS!!!
***

I was not happy with the flower pot she chose and the haphazard arrangement (?) in it but had to go with what was there….would love to have free license to change the contents of the pot. But I was to represent it as is. Showing you some progression of the pencil. Notice the 2nd picture: it is missing something on the left so she did allow me to put in a leaf that I made up from memory...

The pot held a leftover geranium that survived the winter indoors along with nasturtiums.
Photo doesn't show the full colors unfortunately; nor depth really so I guess I need more darks!!!!!


No comments: